Sunday, December 26, 2010

These lulling days after Christmas are always the site of an inner battle to stay fresh and motivated. Why not just wait until the New Year and get a real fresh start? It's more accurate to say that we get a fresh start each day, but if I had to go round for round with myself every morning as to whether I should get up for the morning yoga class, I would exhaust my reasoning abilities in a few short days. Let's face facts and admit that there are days that are lost to the fogginess that we sometimes just don't have the energy to clear.

This morning I had planned to wake up at 6:30 and take the blue line to an 8AM yoga class on the north side - the only studio I could find in Chicago offering a class that early on a Sunday. I found many studios much closer, but their classes only started at ten or later. Last night, anything after nine am seemed like a waste of time. I woke up at 9:45 this morning and had my dad drive me the two blocks to Tejas Yoga, so I wouldn't be late for their 10AM class. Another day I might have woken up late, labeled the day a waste and skipped yoga altogether. But this was precisely my intention in scheduling such an early class - get up and commit yourself before your mind even has awoken enough to protest.

Somebody asked me the other day if I was still feeling "fresh". I had commented that I felt a particular awakening after the solstice last week. It's comforting to know that the days are finally getting longer now. I'd say its a battle for me to maintain fresh determination and motivational thoughts in such bleak weather. If I could run off to yoga, or the coffee shop to do work in a long dress and sneakers I'd like to think I'd be much more productive. However, there is the romance of sitting on the second story of a good coffee shop drinking cappuccino.

The conclusion is, I'm applying for four internships and I'd be happy with any of them. I'm tiding between motivated energy and a busting frustration. Just keep swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment